Tuesday 21 April 2020

Introductions of sorts...

Good morning/afternoon/evening all. Let's be honest, who knows what day or time it is right now.

2020 hasn't got off to the best of starts but for all we know, this could be rock bottom. If so, things can surely only get better. Right? These are peculiar times but a slight crumb of comfort is that we're all stuck in this together. No one nation is outside partying whilst the remainder is grounded in their bedrooms. 'We're all in this together...' (Efron et al, 2007). For once, all those restaurants begging you to try their new menus or the tourist hot-spots luring you in with glossing sunset shots are actively telling you to stay as far away as possible.

On the bright side, at least the weather in the UK throughout lockdown has been dreadful. Oh wait, no it hasn't. When the natural world is at it's busiest, there's barely anyone to appreciate it. It's like Argos with no catalogue out there. Think of all those trees falling in the woods not making any sounds. Despite wildlife-watchers like myself being confined to scouring the skies for swallows but seeing only sparrows, I'm sure biodiversity is having a field day. Minimal disturbance and drastically reduced pollution can only be a bonus, so I'm sure plenty of species are revelling right now.

The reality is that I personally have all the free time I could ever want but only a world the size of my flat to explore. There's only so many times that you can bake banana bread or count how many planes fly over. So as a coping mechanism, I thought I'd share my thoughts/feelings/musings/experiences through this blog until inevitably the planet is fixed. As much as it'd be great to wake up and everything to go back to normal, but this isn't Alice in Wonderland.

What can I expect from this blog? Very good question. As a massive bird nerd longing to finally be let properly outside again, most of the content will be UK nature/wildlife related (yaaaaay) so if you expected me to outline my daily beauty routine or play Minecraft, sorry peeps. Basically if you love all things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, you might be vaguely interested with what I have to say. I'll be open to suggestions so also feel free to throw these in my general direction. This won't exactly be a scientific journal (because who has time for Harvard referencing, that's so undergrad) so don't expect any earth-shattering detail.

When can I expect this blog to start? Well... now if you want. Or however long it took you to read up until this point. Let's say 5 minutes ago?

When will this all be over? Soon and even sooner still if you stay at home and save lives. In a year where you can be arrested for having a picnic or fined for going on two jogs a day, don't be that guy.

Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great start to your blog, Jack! We shall look forward to reading more and also, for asking your advice on our (hopefully) kestrel offspring!

    ReplyDelete